Built in 1952, this home in the North Berkeley hills was periodically renovated to update its functionality while preserving the spirit of its mid-century modern aesthetic. Keeping within the original building footprint, a below ground storage room was excavated and expanded to create a new home office, and a portion of the existing carport was converted into a studio workspace. Vintage laminate countertops were blended with contemporary cabinetry in a substantial kitchen remodel, and the open plan, indoor-outdoor ambience of the original design enhanced with terraced pocket gardens, patios, and walkways.
This renovation was designed by Koch Architects in Berkeley.
© 2020 Koch Architects